Saturday 11 February 2012

Vogue 8028

Week 3: 17 weeks left. That's 4 months to make your baby clothes, jumpsuits, evening wear, clutch bag...


So finally Red Kitty has decided to stop mucking around and get stitching!  
Very much liked Green Apples cord version of this dress and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted one. I love cord and I love green. I've always wanted a 'fits-like-a-glove' shirtdress which I (kinda) achieved by making a muslin first. Actually made TWO muslins, because the first was true to the pattern and didn't fit me so I had to ditch it. Who knew Vogue cut a B-cup on their patterns? B-cup was a looong time ago.....
So here we have View A. The 'pin-it-on-the-dummy' before sewing technique. Matching darts and seams with a thousand pins and careful folding! I've also included side bust darts to improve the fit and left an extra two inches in the waist to flatter with a tie-belt. Sleeves full length with cuff. More tailoring is needed to take in the bodice but it's a good start. Already I want to replace these sleeves with ones which are three-quarter length balloon style with a long cuff - but I cannot find a pattern like this anywhere (boo-hoo!).  Anyway, I have a trip to Greenwich next week (no sewing group) because I got a heads-up on a lady who sells cheap, retro buttons in the flea market. Meow! 


Vogue 8028 in thick green cord from myfabrics.co.uk

Dart matching in the rear

Vicky proceeded on Simplicity 2281 (view B) on a beautiful vintage Frister & Rossman sewing machine in yellow. It purred like a kitten and sews the most perfectly formed stitches. 
As you may remember, Vicky is using black crepe and the dress already looks great but the instructions were of the 'Kafka-esque' variety, i.e. downright puzzling, when it came to attaching the sleeve. Being high in the neck with gathering makes it slightly difficult to attach but we're sure she'll nail it and produce something quite lovely.....

Vicky and her gorgeous Frister & Rossman sewing machine. 

Blogger 'Green Apples' attempt at Simplicity 2281

Yes, it's been icy cold of late but good men and women of Lewisham you MUST come to the group; blink or you'll miss it! We only have funding for the next 4 months so don't leave it too late to come and work on your favourite pattern or knitting project. A lot of good advice is going up and down the tables so we'd love to see you!

Just think of all the great patterns you could be sewing and knitting.....


Catford South Sewing & Knitting Group is completely FREE of charge, thanks to Lewisham Council. Use it or lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment